Not to say that the idea of "soft roof" appeared only yesterday. The idea of creating something like that was in the air for a long time. In 80-ies of the XIX century, the rolls of cardboard were trying to impregnate the oil, receiving the output of the likeness of the product, later called "roofing".
Roofing felt, which came later, was already better:
- Thick cardboard;
- two layers of bitumen (either fusible or refractory);
- Powder (coarse, sometimes colour).
Talc, asbestos or sand sprinkled roofing material so that its layers do not stick together. Then they gave way to slate, basalt, marble, granite.
The first is flat, but rough, not too densely adjoined to the basis, and therefore — quickly crumbled. But it is actively absorbed from the bitumen oil and the radical change in its original hue, thereby greatly expanding the colour palette of the material.
Here the basalt rests on the basis of a tenacious resinous. Because the grinding of the volcanic rocks obtained spherical particles, which due to the shape well stick to the bitumen, "close ranks".
This forms a glassy layer:
- Reflecting most of the solar rays.
- Repulsive grad.
- Protects against:
- Rain and that means from corrosion;
- falling on the roof, leaves, branches;
- Bold small animals, encroaching on the peaceful life of homeowners.
As a bonus: the modern soft roof of shingles is a great "jamming" sound that can not boast of building materials based on steel, metal tile or corrugated sheet.
The next step was the desire to make a rolled material more convenient for transport, installation and reasonable repair. Successful was the idea to "cut out" soft roof into separate pieces. "Cutting" has received the name of shingles in some countries and "Gonta", "single name" call it in the other. The exotic names of various "figure" types, depending on the shapes of the tiles — "dragon tooth", "beaver's tail", "Shamrock", added to her peculiar charm.
The result was only to improve the "components" quickly became a very popular building material.
- For example, the bitumen SBS-modified: the addition of synthetic rubber has increased flexibility (resinous).
- And enrich it with oxygen (oxidized bitumen). The result? Significantly increases viscosity — control keeps the granulate, later crack.
- Praise the builders and APP-modified bitumen (plastobeton). Polymers in its composition, significantly improve the quality of the material: non-friable; go up the resistance to UV light (in the heat of the roof does not "flow"), increases frost resistance, that is overall a much-expanded range suitable for application temperatures.
Much lighter than cardboard, elastic it — fibreglass. It is resistant to moisture (so — does not rot), mechanical abrasion, prevents the formation of mould, does not burn.
As a rule, each piece (hexagon, rhombus, brick, other) has on the lower side and another layer of bitumen adhesive, closed by a protective film which is removed directly in the process of installation of the soft tile.
Of course, nothing is perfect does not exist. Composition shingles allow you to talk about this material as a reliable waterproofing, but sufficient strength and thermal insulation of the roof it does not provide the necessary additional activities. Also don't be too quick to roll off her, ie delayed, snow. And between singasari the years sometimes there is moss.